The redevelopment of the State Library of Victoria was undertaken in six major stages over a 20 year period. It created a world class learning hub in the heart of Melbourne which retains the essence of this vital piece of Melbourne’s history.
The renovation of the Reading Room (and Dome) was part of Stage 4 of the project and this comprised:
- refurbishment of the Dome building which includes the creation of exhibition galleries in the upper levels of the Dome Reading Room
- restoration of the skylights
- the addition of two southern glazed roof courtyards
- the refurbishment of the Murdoch exhibition gallery and the main entry foyer
- conversion of existing National Gallery of Victoria spaces to gallery usage.
Major Projects Victoria developed the State Library brief for Swanston Street, and facilitated a costed multi-stage program to be delivered on a concurrently operated site over 20 years.