Southern Cross Station is an award winning redevelopment that transformed the former Spencer Street Station into a world class gateway into Melbourne.
The Southern Cross Station (formerly known as Spencer Street Station) redevelopment included two components:
- the transport interchange redevelopment
- a commercial redevelopment that includes a retail precinct, car parking and offices.
Some features of the transport interchange include:
- an open design light filled space with full glass frontage to Spencer Street and Collins Street with platform access from both the Bourke Street Bridge and Collins Street extension
- more passenger information screens with real time train arrival and departure information and comfortable waiting areas
- a 30-bay coach station
- secure, sheltered parking facilities for 800 cars and five-minute drop off and pick up area
- improved public facilities and new retail outlets.
The Civic Nexus consortium contracted Leighton Contractors, Honeywell and Delaware North Australia to deliver and operate the development with Major Projects Victoria overseeing the operation of the PPP to deliver the facility.
The station project is now managed by Public Transport Victoria.