Located just seven kilometres from central Melbourne, the Royal Melbourne Showgrounds is Melbourne’s largest and most versatile indoor/outdoor venue.
The redevelopment involved building new structures and applying a much needed facelift to old structures, in line with heritage requirements. The redevelopment restored key historic buildings and built new facilities to create a flexible multipurpose venue to be used throughout the year.
The project aimed to:
- enhance the Royal Melbourne Show
- build on the link between urban and rural Victoria
- help Victoria’s agribusiness sector grow
- create a flexible, multipurpose events and exhibition precinct.
Features of the redeveloped site include:
- a grand pavilion
- a town square
- a revitalised main entrance and boulevard
- a new exhibition space
- an outdoor animal competition area.